I can’t tell you how many people I meet in dental that ask me what the hardest part of my job is. The answer is PEOPLE. It’s complicated but really this is it! Could you imagine if we all just got along?
Here are my Top 5 Tips to make your life easier:
- Your team needs to be made of rock-solid employees who care enough about your business. As a dentist or manager, you are committed more than anyone generally so remember that most team members are never going to care as much as you. If you get one that does never let them go! However, the secret is to work with them and ensure that everyone feels supported and appreciated.
- Remember to Smile! I feel as though I shouldn’t say this half as much as I do, but seriously we forget all the time. Patients like to feel the love, smile, it makes everyone feel good.
- Communication is the key to success. I have been caught off guard before by exceptional staff choosing to move on because they didn’t communicate their issues. If you don’t tell anyone what is going on, there is no way that you can solve any issues.
- Time off needs to be time off. The dental field is notorious for wearing us down. Emotionally and physically it is one of the most demanding professions out there. Make sure you take your time away from the office for your family friends and do things that make you happy.
- As team members you need to remember how everyone else is; this includes dentists, owners and management. We ALL have bad days and we can imagine how your other team members are feeling it makes things easier.